Plenty to chat about tonight after NDSU’s fifth straight win over an FBS school yesterday, join Jeff, Big E and me at 10 pm!
It was a dominant effort by NDSU after falling in a 14-0 hole in Ames on Satuday. Carson Wentz in his debut as the starter for the Bison was rock solid and the defense looked like it did all of last season. The NDSU rushing attack looked much like the Bison of old with two touchdown runs of 80 and 66 yards. Join Jeff, Big E and me as we recap NDSU’s record setting 25th straight win.
WDAY sports director Dom Izzo interviews NDSU head coach Chris Klieman before his team takes the field against Iowa State.
Join WDAY sports director Dom Izzo and The Forum’s Jeff Kolpack and Eric Peterson for the latest Bison Video Blog!\
For those that missed it on WDAY’Z Extra last night, now is your chance to get ready for the season, here’s WDAY’s 2014 Preview Show, enjoy!
Yes it’s back folks, the FCS Pick ‘Em segment, our fourth year of trying to predict games, we’ve got a new twist for this year that I can’t wait to introduce next week on the radio! This is our third year going for the FCS Nickel, Jeff won it in 2012, I won it last year and it’s back up for grabs this season. Some interesting games on the table, let’s see who takes an early lead!
DOM (6-1) JEFF (7-0)
- Delaware at Pittsburgh PITT PITT
- Indiana State at Indiana IU IU
- (5) Northern Iowa at Iowa IOWA UNI
- (21) Youngstown St at Illinois ILL ILL
- (10) SDSU at Missouri Mizzou Mizzou
- James Madison at Maryland JMU Maryland
- (5) Montana at Wyoming Wyo Griz
- (6) Coastal Carolina at Citadel CCU CCU
- (4) New Hampshire at Toledo TOL TOL
- (23) Bethune-Cookman at Florida Int. BC BC
- Sacramento St at Incarnate Word Sac Sac
- (19) Montana St at Arkansas St. ASU ASU
- South Dakota at Oregon ORE ORE
VARSITY GAME OF THE WEEK
- (16) Clemson at (12) Georgia UGA UGA
The season is drawing closer, we nearly had our first FCS upset of the season pulled off by Abilene Christian over Georgia State tonight, but the Panthers pulled it out to win their first ever FBS game. Our first round of selections are listed below as is a special preview to Saturday’s return of the Bison PreGame Show!!
DOM (1-0) JEFF (1-0)
- Missouri State at Northwestern St. Mo State Mo. State
- Valparaiso at Western Illinois WIU WIU
- Chattanooga at Central Michigan Chatt. CMU
- Eastern Illinois at Minnesota UM UM
- Cal Poly at New Mexico St. NMSU NMSU
- UND at San Jose State SJSU SJSU
- Villanova at Syracuse Nova Syr
As we near the full week 1 of the college football season, the FCS upsets tend to happen early, you don’t have to look too far with NDSU beating K-State and Eastern Washington taking out Oregon State. The slate this year isn’t as compelling as 2013, but there’s some definite candidates to watch for:
- NDSU at Iowa State (11 am Saturday, FOX Sports 1) This goes without saying as the Bison enter this matchup winners of 24 in a row and four straight against the FBS. Iowa State has a talented offense, but lots of questions on defense, something that the Bison will look to attack on Saturday morning. ISU knows full well about how good the FCS is, losing its season opener to Northern Iowa last year so they won’t be surprised by the Bison, but this has been a perfect recipe game for NDSU in years past.
- Villanova at Syracuse (6:30pm Friday, ESPN3) The Wildcats bring one of the best QB’s in the nation, John Robertson into this game at the Carrier Dome, ‘Nova lost by 10 to Boston College last season, this Syracuse team has talent, but will struggle in the ACC, keep an eye on this game on Friday night.
- Northern Iowa at Iowa (11 am Saturday, Big Ten Network) The Panthers are highly touted this season, thanks to all-conference running back David Johnson, but there are some question marks with this team, including the status of its best defensive player, Jake Farley, as he tries to come back from a broken leg that he suffered last year against NDSU. UNI played a perfect game last year against Iowa State, they’ll need another one against a Hawkeyes team that has high hopes to get back into the Big 10 race, definitely a game Bison fans will be keeping an eye on Saturday for obvious reasons.
- Montana at Wyoming (3 pm Saturday, Root Sports) I know Bison fans will laugh at this pick, but Montana has been known for knocking off the upper division, but if there’s one coach that will have his team prepared, it’s Craig Bohl. This game is intriguing for so many reasons, to see how Bohl’s team will play in it’s first game, to getting a look at the Griz as they come to Fargo September 20th. I don’t have a great feeling on Montana winning, but just keep an eye on it.
- Other Options (Delaware at Pittsburgh – 11 am Sat, ESPN3; Youngstown State at Illinois – 11 am Sat, Big 10 Network; James Madison at Maryland – 2:30 Big 10 Network)
As we prepare for Chris Klieman’s first Monday press conference of the year, wanted to let people know of some coverage changes this year, starting today:
- WDAY’Z Extra Channel will be televising Klieman’s press conferences each Monday at noon (outside of today, which begins at 12:30). Here’s the info on how to watch for free:
The press conferences can be seen statewide and on the web on: WDAY 6.3 (Fargo)
WDAZ 8.3 (Grand Forks)
KBMY 17.3 (Bismarck)
KMCY 14.3 (Minot)
Halstad Telephone 7
WDAY.com Online Streaming
WDAZ.com Online Streaming
INFORUM.com Online Streaming
- Next up WDAY is producing a half hour preview show on the 2014 season, that will air at 6:30pm THURSDAY, also on the WDAY’Z Extra Channel, info to find it is above.
- Lastly, #KolpackAndIzzo will be taking our radio show on the road with the Bison as well this year, we are planning to video stream it as well, more info as the week goes along.
- Our first video blog from the studio comes up later today, we’re ready, know you are!