For those that decided to enjoy their Saturday at home or with the family probably a good idea this morning, it was nasty outside, solid wind, not pleasant after the recent stretch of nice weather we’ve enjoyed, perfect football weather though, felt like a late October game. Anyway onto the news of the day, Bison defense carried the day, NDSU defensive line and linebackers look really solid, from experience with Grant Olson to newcomer Brian Schaetz, each looked great.
On the injury front, some concerning news, redshirt freshman QB Carson Wentz has what Craig Bohl calls a high ankle sprain, Wentz had a couple of runs during the scrimmage, one where he flipped cornerback Jordan Champion to the ground, not sure if it happened there on another run, but if Wentz can’t go, that certainly clears up the backup quarterback race for Esley Thorton. Sam Ojuri didn’t practice due to some concussion symptoms. More analysis from Jeff and I here; everyone have a great weekend!
Other thoughts (from Jeff):
- Olson’s interception return was about 35 yards. There’s no question he’s solidified his status as the guy to replace Preston Evans.
- Wentz wasn’t afraid to lower his shoulder on a couple of quarterback scrambles.
- Receiver Trevor Gebhart had two receptions for first downs.
- It was windy, and Marcus Williams had trouble fielding a couple of punts and a kickoff.
- Receiver Ryan Smith lowered his shoulder and knocked cornerback Brendin Pierre back a couple of yards. Don’t call the 5-foot-7 Smith a little slot receiver, especially on that play.
- Freshman runnning back Matt Jones had his most visible day in his short career, showing a gift for change of direction.
- Offensive tackle Jason Pomerenke sat out with concussion symptoms.