NDSU released its updated two-deep chart today with a couple of minor surprises. Sophomore Esley Thorton was immediately installed as the No. 2 outside linebacker behind Carlton LIttlejohn, despite just playing the position one day after being moved from backup quarterback. At left guard, true freshman Zack Johnson is listed as the backup to Josh Colville, although head coach Craig Bohl said it’s still uncertain if any true freshmen will play. It also hasn’t been uncommon for NDSU to removed a redshirt after the season has started.
Here are the changes from the depth chart from the beginning of practice until now:
- Junior college transfer Antonio Rodgers moved into the backup middle linebacker spot, which previously was held by Brandon Jemison, who was booted for violating team rules.
- Senior Aireal Boyd is the backup at left cornerback, replacing freshman Jordan Champion.
- Senior Andre Martin is the backup at right cornerback to Marcus Williams, replacing C.J. Smith.
- Freshman Brian Schaetz is the backup at noseguard, replacing Justin Juckem who has been battling tendinitis in his knees.
- Sophomore Jason Pomerenke was moved to the backup left tackle spot replacing Joe Haeg, who is now the starting right tackle. Jeff Jerve, battling knee ailments, is the backup at right tackle instead of the starter.
- Freshman Josh Colville has taken over the starting spot at left guard in place of injured Anthony LaVoy.
- Zach Vraa has overtaken Cooper Wahlo for starting “X” wide receiver and Nate Moody has replaced the injured Trevor Gebhart as the backup at the “Z” wide receiver.
- Garrett Bruhn, once thought to be out for an extended period of time with nerve damage in his shoulder, has returned as the starting tight end. Kevin Vaadeland, the starter at beginning of fall camp, is No. 2 ahead of junior Taylor Nelson.
- Carson Wentz, as reported all week, is the No. 2 quarterback. John Crockett has replaced Derrick Lang as the backup running back to Sam Ojuri.
- LT: Billy Turner, Jason Pomerenke
- LG: Josh Colville, Zack Johnson
- C: Joe Lund, Adam Schueller
- RG: Tyler Gimmestad, Andrew Nack
- RT: Joe Haeg, Jeff Jerve
- TE: Garrett Bruhn, Kevin Vaadeland
- WR: Zach Vraa, Cooper Wahlo Jr
- WR: Ryan Smith, Nate Moody
- RB: Sam Ojuri, John Crockett
- FB: Andrew Grothmann, Andrew Bonnet
- QB: Brock Jensen, Carson Wentz
- LE: Kyle Emanuel, Mike Hardie
- DT: Leevon Perry, Danny Luecke
- NG: Ryan Drevlow, Brian Schaetz
- RE: Cole Jirik, Ricky Hagen
- OLB: Travis Beck, DeShawn Dinwiddie
- MLB: Grant Olson, Antonio Rodgers
- OLB: Carlton Littlejohn, Esley Thorton
- CB: Brendin Pierre, Aireal Boyd
- SS: Colten Heagle, Bobby Ollman
- FS: Christian Dudzik or Bryan Shepherd
- CB: Marcus Williams, Andrew Martin