I hate to be that guy, but there is an actual game that will be played after College Gameday signs off the air at 11 am Saturday morning, just wanted to give a closer look at the opponents that hail from Dover.
Delaware State (0-2; losses to Delaware and Towson)
- The Hornets have struggled out of the gates, being outscored 91-28 to both teams out of the CAA.
- DSU has traditionally been a middle of the road team in the MEAC, making just one playoff appearance, that was 2007, a 44-7 loss to in-state rival Delaware.
- The Hornets are known for a more ridiculous stat, they suffered the worst loss in FCS history; a 105-0 defeat to Portland State in 1980, led by former St. Louis Cardinals great quarterback Neil Lomax (I had his football card)
- Delaware State has one current NFL player, offensive lineman Jamaal Jackson of the Philadelphia Eagles, their most popular alum is former 49ers wide receiver John Taylor, who caught the winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XXII against Cincinnati.
- They may have one of the most difficult schedules in FCS, first four games all on the road; at Delaware, at 3rd ranked Towson, at top ranked NDSU, then at Savannah State
Wanted to add this; got an email tonight from Wofford Associate Athletic Director Lenny Mathis; who I met before last year’s FCS Quarterfinal; who wrote this about this weekend:
On behalf of those of us at Wofford, congrats to the good folks of Fargo and NDSU for getting the experience of College Gameday. I see it as carrying the flag for all the good FCS programs out there and having seen Fargo for myself I think it’s great.
To those that are nitpicking the location ESPN is doing NDSU a favor by showing more of the flair of the community than just around the Dome. Nothing against the tailgate atmosphere which is awesome but if they’re making that trip it has to be about more than football.
When Wofford opened the season at Baylor I found myself with others in a cab looking for a place to watch FS1 just to see how NDSU would do at KState. Can’t say I was surprised.
Hope you guys have fun this weekend, I’d expect a enormous mob downtown. ”
Assoc AD/ Marketing
That email speaks for itself. Mandatory Gameday info; the construction of the set begins tomorrow morning downtown, we’ll have video of that and much more as we get closer to a wild scene Saturday, the Video Blog will have you covered, Jeff, E and I have big plans!