Less than 48 hours after NDSU completed a three-peat, the NDSU football offices underwent a complete makeover as Chris Klieman has assumed control of the Bison and his staff is nearly completed with the hirings of Tim Polasek, Matt Entz, Randy Hedberg and Jamar Cain. Nick Goeser and Conor Riley are staying on as well, Klieman says he still needs to hire a secondary coach, wide receiver coach and tight end/fullback coach, figure those hires will be coming soon; especially with the upcoming coaches convention over the next week. Some other highlights from today’s press conference:
- Randy Hedberg will handle North Dakota for recruiting, Entz will be in the Twin Cities, Polasek who has hit some home runs in Wisconsin (namely Brock Jensen and Colten Heagle) will return there, Riley will take Nebraska. Goeser’s specific spot hasn’t been defined yet, nor has areas like Iowa, Florida or Arizona, big spots for NDSU over the past three seasons.
- Grant Olson will join the staff next season as a student assistant, he still have some classes to finish up.
- Klieman says that NDSU has between 22-25 scholarships to fill this season, by Jeff and I’s count the Bison have 15 verbal commitments to date.
- Klieman told Jeff that several players will miss spring football; Zach Johnson, Travis Beck, Colten Heagle, CJ Smith and Adam Keller, the first four with shoulder injuries, Keller was on his hip.
- Finally maybe this is the biggest news of all; tight end Kevin Vaadeland tweeted that he will return next season for a 6th season of football.
I just wanna announce to #BisoNation that I am coming back for another year. Thanks to this 6th year I will play once again for the bison.
— Kevin Vaadeland (@KVAAD85) January 7, 2014
- With Vaadeland returning, that makes it 14 of 25 starters that will return for 2014: Vraa, Z. Johnson, Josh Colville, Joe Haeg, Kyle Emanuel, Esley Thorton, Carlton Littlejohn, Travis Beck, CJ Smith, Christian Dudzik, Colten Heagle, Adam Keller and Ben LeCompte.
- Nine more return that have significant playing time over the past two to three seasons: Trevor Gebhart, Jesse Hinz, Jack Plankers, Andrew Bonnet, John Crockett, Nate Moody, Mike Hardie, Brian Schaetz, Zach Colvin, Luke Albers and Jordan Champion.
- Couple other redshirt freshmen or true freshman that saw the field that will also be counted on for bigger roles in 2014: Eric Perkins, Bo Liekhus, Chase Morlock, MJ Stumpf, Pierre Gee-Tucker, Nick DeLuca, Carey Woods and Brad Ambrosius.
- Obviously there is one name that is not on that list and that’s Carson Wentz, he has seen plenty of time, but no meaningful reps, we’ll have plenty on what’s expected of him in the coming days and weeks.